As I mentioned, and readers have noticed, I’ve been behind in blogging. One thing I wanted to get back to was the little-spoken-of October bombing attempt on the U.S. embassy in Austria. A follow-up story to that incident (from a Netherlands TV program) was titled “Bosnian in failed attack on US embassy, war trauma victim” and reported:

Vienna (dpa) - The Bosnian detained in connection with an apparent attack on the US embassy in Vienna, had been injured and traumatized during the war in his country, press reports said Wednesday… he had sustained a heavy back injury in a grenade attack during the bloody conflict in Bosnia- Herzegovina and has since been on numerous medicines.

Although investigators had found half a kilo of plastic explosives in his apartment, they doubt that Asim C. had really intended to carry out a terrorist attack on US embassy along with another Bosnian Mehmed D., who was also arrested…[Both] were in psychiatric care…

Just a few days before the attempted attack on the embassy, there was a story about an upcoming retrial of a Canadian prison guard who raped a 13 year-old girl — and got off with a few months in a mental ward. How did he get off for such a crime? He claimed post-traumatic stress from 10 years earlier, when he was a soldier in Bosnia and supposedly witnessed a Serbian soldier raping an eight year-old girl. From the Winnipeg Free Press:

The first Canadian soldier to ever successfully use post-traumatic stress disorder as a defence for his crimes has been ordered back to court for a new trial.

Roger Borsch, 35, didn’t dispute the fact he broke into a northern Manitoba home and sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint but was found not guilty of the 2004 attack for reasons of a mental disorder.

Queen’s Bench Justice Nathan Nurgtiz agreed last year with Borsch’s claims that his mind had been affected by horrific killings he said he witnessed a decade earlier in Bosnia.

But the Appeal Court has now overturned Nurgitz’s decision on the grounds he failed to make specific findings of fact regarding Borsch’s alleged war horrors [which] were being challenged by the Crown.

Without those findings, Nurgitz shouldn’t have accepted expert psychiatric and psychological evidence which supported Borsch’s claim of PTSD.

“The truth is finally going to come out now,” the victim’s mother told the Free Press outside court Thursday. She believes Borsch’s crime was motivated by marital problems, drug and alcohol abuse — not what he claims to have seen.

[Additional witnesses] may include the former commander of Canadian peacekeepers in Bosnia, Ray Wlasichuk, who told the Free Press following the trial last year that Borsch’s version of events “don’t add up” and couldn’t have happened under his watch.

Borsch told court last year he was haunted by the horrors of what he witnessed during a 1994 peacekeeping mission when he attacked the girl a decade later.

He claims to have personally killed five people, including a Serbian soldier he caught raping an eight-year-old girl. Doctors who testified in his defence claimed Borsch may have been “acting out” what he’d witnessed.

Nurgitz’s decision to clear him of criminal wrongdoing sparked debate and reaction across the country, including several former soldiers who questioned Borsch’s war stories.

Borsch was spared jail in exchange for a trip to a mental health facility, where he spent a few months getting treatment until his release last December when a provincial review board determined he didn’t pose a risk to the public. He has been free in the community ever since.

So those dastardly Serbs in the Balkans are responsible for the sex crime of a nut case in Canada. Brilliant. This case brings us back to the incident earlier this year of the Bosnian jihadi in Salt Lake City, Sulejman Talovic. As soon as the Bosnian Muslim shot nine Americans, killing five, the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret Morning News took us back to the Balkans as well, coaxing the last, recalcitrant Talovic relative to say that yes, it was because of war traumas perpetrated by Serbs and possibly witnessed by baby Talovic that the teenage Talovic went on a killing spree in Utah.

One wonders if there’s any chance that Talovic, Borsch or the embassy-bombing wannabes might have gotten their violent tendencies, and post-traumatic stresses, from any of the following, unpunished goings-on in the Balkans, as related by Chris Deliso:

A rarely seen video taken in 1994 by the mujahedin themselves clearly shows blue-helmeted British soldiers relieving Bosnian Serb soldiers of foreign Islamists they had captured and releasing the delighted jihadis unscathed in the central Bosnian town of Travnik to cheers of “Allah Akbar!”

The intervention of the Western powers against the Serbs often helped the mujahedin to live and fight another day. This seems particularly perverse in light of the fact that the mujahedin indulged in some of the most horrific atrocities ever witnessed in war, as they rampaged unchecked across Christian Serb and Croat villages. Decapitations, amputations, and “non-surgical circumcisions” were standard procedure, as were electrical shock, sexual abuse, and other forms of torture. Serbian prisoners were starved to death or thrown into pits and ordered to attack one another with knives; if they did not die, the jihadis would move in with chain saws. Their cruelty knew no limits and sometimes shocked the native Bosnian fighters. Most incredibly, the holy warriors on at least one occasion even impaled and roasted people alive on spits. Today, the markets and mosques of Bosnia and other Balkan countries do a brisk business in commemorative videos and DVDs that capture the mujahedin in action.

We also have the testimony of former mujahed Ali Hamad:

Speaking about the murder of Serbs and other non-Muslims in Bosnia-Hercegovina, Hamad said that the mujahidin had used to kill using bullets, knives, strangling wires, chainsaws, axes, small knives, etc.

He cited an example of the murder of a Croat boy in Guca village near Travnik whose head had been cut of in front of his father. The father had to watch all this, and then he was himself killed along with 20 other civilians from the village.

“This man cried, sought help, begged, and when he saw them cutting his son’s neck he turned his head away, but he was forced to watch. They held him, opened his eyes and held him,” Hamad said.

In a stunning 2005 letter to the Serbian paper Glas Srpske (Serbian Voice), in which Hamad relates the disinterest and active coverup by Western powers of mujahedin crimes and the Bosnian complicity in them, the former al Qaeda officer gives some additional details about this incident:

The other atrocity, a barbarous murder, took place in 1993 in the Croat village of Guca Gora near Travnik. The mujahideen attacked the above-named village, and there was a brief firefight which involved even the members of international forces (UNPROFOR), who tried to protect the village and its inhabitants from the attack. But when UNPROFOR members saw the long beards of their attackers and realized they were being attacked by mujahideen, they boarded their troop carriers and ran, saving themselves and leaving the civilians in the village to the mercy of the mujahideen.

Some 20 Croat civilians were captured; after psychological and physical mistreatment, they were taken somewhere just outside the village and brutally murdered with bullets, knives, and even a chainsaw. Before that bloody event, in the same village, a mujahid named E.M. used a big knife to slit the throat of a 16- or 14-year old Croat boy before his father’s eyes. The father was forced to watch; then his life was taken in the same fashion.

The third atrocity happened the same year, and I witnessed it, in the mujahedeen camp in the village of Orasac near Travnik. The mujahedeen slit the throat and decapitated a Serb citizen of B-H [Bosnia-Herzegovina] with a rusty kitchen knife. This was witnessed by four Croat captives, who fortunately survived. The murderer was S.B., assisted by R.A., while E.M. severed the head from the body.

(Aside: Hamad’s letter also mentions the killing by mujahedin in Bosnia of four European journalists, most likely British, he says — in a phenomenon similar to what happens in the Palestinian territories, where Western journalists are hampered by being kidnapped or killed by those whose propaganda they’re trying to help with.)

Here are more incidents, from a video aired in 2006, that could have given Talovic, Borsch and the would-be embassy bombers the killing and/or raping bug:

“Kill, rape, destroy”

Hamdija Delalić, commander of the V corps’ 502 brigades of the Muslim military, can be clearly seen and heard in the video calling for an attack on Fikret Abdić [a Serb-aligned Muslim moderate] and the Republic of Srpska Military.

“A breach must be made. Kill all that stands in front of you. I am permitting and ordering that the enemies be killed using all necessary means, knives, bombs, hunting knives, teeth.” Delalić said to his soldiers in the video.

“Can we rape?”…When asking whether the soldiers were allowed to rape people, Delalić said that they have the right to do anything they want.

President of the Association of Western Bosnian Prisoners of War, Esad Čović, told ATV that the direct consequences of Delalić’s orders were the burning of several villages and many rapes.

Čović said that one woman that was raped several times and suffered more than 200 knife cuts on her body, adding that members of the 505 brigade carved their emblem into her body.

“That brigade was led by the commander of the V corps of the Bosnia-Herzegovina army, General Atif Dudaković. The Association of Western Bosnian Prisoners of War sent documents to the Hague Tribunal in 1999 regarding the crimes of the V corps, but an answer never came back, so we decided to forward the documentation to the Bosnia-Herzegovina state prosecution.” Čović said.

Or perhaps our hapless Bosnian killer and would-be killers got their ideas from watching mujahedin playing soccer with a Serbian head:

(via BBC Monitoring, September 18; from Belgrade-based Radio B92 website)

A Bosnian TV station has broadcast parts of a new tape showing the activities of a Mujahidin unit during the Bosnian war. The tape shows some of the crimes committed by the unit against Bosnian Serbs during the 1992-1995 war in central Bosnia.

The footage shows Mujahidin “sharpening axes” which they later allegedly used to behead a Serb soldier; a speech is also recorded of a Mujahidin saying: “They call us terrorists. We are terrorists and we will destroy all the enemies of Allah.” In addition to the hair-raising scenes of corpses and mutilation, there are also pictures of living prisoners of war that the Mujahidin had tied up and abused — the scenes were broadcast on Bijeljina’s BN TV. There is also footage of the Mujahidin playing football using, instead of a ball, “a decapitated head.”

The Al-Mujahidin was a unit consisting of fighters from Islamic countries, who, as they say on the tape, came to Bosnia to “fight for Allah”, with the alleged approval of the then Bosnian war council, under whose command they fell, as part of the Muslim Bosnian Army. The unit was formed in 1993, and according to the clips, that same year, an order was read out saying that they formed part of the Bosnian Army, and had the approval of the then Muslim leadership.

The tape was found by the Council of Concentration Camp Victims of the [Bosnian] Serb Republic, whose president, Branislav Dukic, has said that the footage came from the Bosniak side. Dukic said that even among the Bosniaks, there were “those who wish to prove the presence of Mujahidin in Bosnia, and the war crimes they committed on the territory of central Bosnia.” Women were among those seen living in the Mujahidin camp, dressed strictly according to Islamic dictates, as well as children, dressed in military wear, while one little girl is shown holding a pistol.

The unit, as is claimed at the end of the video, numbered some 1,000 fighters by the end of the war, including some 700 Bosniaks, who were recruited during the course of the war, and 300 foreign warriors from Islamic countries.

In a 1993 article in the journal Foreign Policy, Peter Brock mentions a thing or two about rape during the Balkan wars:

* late March 1992 - Serb females imprisoned at Breza were raped and then murdered by Muslims; their bodies were later incinerated.

* May 27, 1992 - female prisoners from Bradina were taken to the camp in Celebici where they were repeatedly raped.

* July 26, 1992 - an escapee from Gorazde reported Muslims forced Serb fathers to rape their own daughters before both were murdered.

* August 27, 1992 - an affidavit by Dr. Olga Drasko, a former inmate of an Ustashi camp at Dretelj, described rapes and mutilations of women, including herself, during her three month confinement.

* November 1992 - a group of Serb women released from Tuzla requested late-term abortions after having been repeatedly raped by Muslims during lengthy captivities.

* December 10, 1992 - in Belgrade, Serbian Orthodox Patriarch Pavle told official of the Swiss Federal Parliament and representatives from European Ecumenical Movements that 800 Serb women were documented as repeated rape victims in 20 camps operated by Muslims and Croats…

Also unnoticed by the media was the submission on December 18, 1992, of the lengthy report (s/24991) by the U.N. Security Council to the General Assembly. The report includes some of the depositions by Serb rape victims from the incidents above. U.N. officials have never explained why it was not made publicly available until January 5, 1993, even though it was the only report produced by an international agency that contained documented testimonies from any rape victims up until that time. Yet, while that report was receiving minimal circulation at the U.N., the news media were focusing on undocumented claims [that Serbian] soldiers had committed as many as 60,000 rapes of Muslims women.

From the start of the Bosnian war in April 1992 until November of that year, thousands of refugees fled into Croatia and other countries. There, extensive interviews failed to disclose allegation of “systematic rape.” Then suddenly, in late November and early December, the world received a deluge of reports about rapes of Muslim women. The accounts originated in the Information Ministries of the governments of Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. The January 4, 1993, “Newsweek,” for one, quoted unsubstantiated Bosnian government claims of up to 50,000 rapes of Muslims by Serb soldiers.

The resulting handful of rape-produced births also clearly contradicts claims of waves of systematic rape-induced pregnancies supposedly treated in Bosnia hospitals and reported by Bosnian government authorities and Western journalists.

The general lack of follow-up on the rape allegations is in stark contrast to the lone account of French journalist Jerome Bony, who described in a February 4, 1993, broadcast on the French television program “Envoye Special” his trek to Tuzla, notorious for its concentration of Muslim rape victims:

“When I was at 50 kilometers from Tuzla I was told, ‘go to Tuzla high school ground (where) there are 4,000 raped women’. At 20 kilometers this figure dropped to 400. At 10 kilometers only 40 were left. Once at the site, I found only four women willing to testify.”

In closing, then, it’s apparent that our Canadian rapist is no dummy. Imagine trying to get an acquittal by pointing to atrocities you witnessed by Bosnian Muslims against Serbs or Croats. Imagine trying to introduce Western publics to the concept of a non-Serb Balkan villain, much less to a Serbian victim. Obviously, Borsch and his lawyer knew which Balkan player to blame and it worked, as usual, like a charm.

It’s also entirely possible that what he witnessed in Bosnia, namely seeing how much you can get away with if you do it to a Serb, gave him a false sense of impunity — and that’s what he was acting out.