March 14th 2007 03:11:29 AM
African-Americans and Hispanics — especially Latinas — have been converting to Islam at a higher rate since 9/11.
The figures aren’t precise, but Lawrence Mamiya, professor of religion at Vassar College, told Reuters he estimates there are up to two million black Muslims in America. And the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) estimate there to be 40,000 Latino Muslims in the U.S., with Latinos accounting for six percent (and rising) of the nation’s 20,000 annual conversions to Islam.
This calls for the Top 10 Reasons that More Blacks and Latinos are Converting to Islam After 9/11:
10. Just can’t get enough of that ethnic profiling stuff.
9. Don’t like Jews or dogs either.
8. Muslims are the “new black man” and I just don’t feel black enough.
7. How else will the black man get to rule the world — without being “articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy” for Senator Biden?
6. Want to get in on the Muslims’ lucrative African slave trade.
5. Spanglish is so 1990s; it’s all about Sparabic now.
4. Always wanted to be faithful to my husband; now I don’t have a choice.
3. Assembling bombs pays better than growing cocaine.
2. “Su casa es mi casa” sounds better.
1. I did time for stealing an Ipod, but these bad-ass brothers get to kill thousands of people — and the white man show him respek! Now that’s gangster.
Bonus Reason: I guess I can live without rap/salsa.