I got the following letter this week, from Genci Kojdheli, who identifies himself as an “Albanian scholar”:

I am sure you receive tons of hate mail. Mine is not a hate comment, rather, a prayer for you and your discomforted, hateful, and evidently ignorant soul. I am an Albanian scholar, and I have to thank you for your articles, which, albeit uncomfortably biased, always manage to make me smile. Good work Julia….

P.S. they just discovered a mass-grave in the vicinity of Belgrade, with some 500 Kosovo-Albanian bodies in it. Can you please see to writing an article that denies the existence of this mass-grave and plays down the gravity of the fact… ’cause that seems to be what you do better. God (yours and mine) be with you Julia…

This is the Reuters report he was talking about: “Serbian mass grave ‘holds up to 500′ Kosovo victims”

Serbia will open a mass grave on Tuesday believed to contain up to 500 Albanian victims of the Kosovo war, fresh evidence of Serb atrocities as the U.N. decides whether to grant the province independence.

The exhumation will take place at an abandoned quarry in no-man’s land between Serbian and Kosovo checkpoints on the 2 km (1.2 mile) wide boundary line.

Authorities believe the bodies were originally buried elsewhere, then dug up, collected, and dumped at the quarry on June 3, 1999, a senior Serbian official told Reuters.

That was a week before NATO called a halt to its 78-day bombing campaign over Serbia and Slobodan Milosevic pulled his forces from the territory, which became a U.N. protectorate.

“We believe that between 300 and 500 bodies can be found there,” said the official, who asked not to be named.

“We assume that, as in other cases, the bodies were moved by Serbian forces in order to conceal evidence of atrocities.”

Here I was going to take Genci’s advice and do a whole blog entry explaining that since Kosovo is in Serbia and is not a foreign country, the Serbian army wouldn’t leave dead bodies lying around after battles. No, they collected the dead KLA fighters and the collateral dead (since Albanian terrorists, like other Muslim terrorists, surround themselves with families among the civilian population), and buried them away from the war zone. Especially since, if left in Kosovo, the Albanians could dig them back up to pile them into bigger mass graves so they could stage a massacre for the cameras as was done in Jenin and in Racak (the “straw that broke the NATO camel’s back” and sent us to “war”).

I was going to write that the Serbs weren’t “covering up crimes”; they were covering up bodies, which is what you do with bodies, and if they’re enemy bodies, you sometimes just dump them all together. In villages that harbored the KLA — the villages that the Serb forces were concentrated in — some of those bodies would also include women, children and elderly.

I was going to write all that, but then the excavation that took place last week saved me the trouble:

No proof of mass grave near Raška

…Belgrade’s War Crimes Court judge, Milan Dilparić, said Friday forensic examination of the Rudnica-Majdan site near Raška, had not yielded any evidence that it may contain human remains.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) also confirmed that no proof that the site was a mass grave was found. However, the committee’s representative, Krasimir Naumov, said this “did not mean the procedure would not be started again.”

Several witnesses claimed that at the beginning of June 1999, during the NATO bombing campaign, as many as 350 bodies were transported in four trucks from unknown locations in Kosovo and buried in the Raška region in southern Serbia.

Sure enough, this “mass grave” is more of the same: a quarry that came up as empty as the quarry we heard about back in 1999, rumored to hold hundreds of Albanian bodies in Kosovo itself. This suspicion of another 350 to 500-body grave, stated by the Albanian scholar as fact, was, as usual, based on “people” “seeing” “hundreds” of bodies “being transported” “somewhere” back in 1999.

Indeed, you could fill a mass grave with the number of empty Albanian mass graves we’ve found. The Albanian scholar needs to tell his people to go and kill some more Albanians so these graves stop coming up empty. Meanwhile, here’s a mass grave or two you probably didn’t hear about:

UN forensic experts are examining bodies found in a mass grave in Kosovo, believed to be Serbs killed by ethnic Albanian guerrillas in 1998.

The grave was found in the town of Malisevo, 45 km (30 miles) south-west of the capital Pristina. If confirmed, this would be the second such find in a month after 24 bodies were found in a cave last month.

“They are presumed to be Serbs missing since 1998,” she added.

Guerrillas from the Kosovo Liberation Army kidnapped a number of Serbian villagers from the Orahovac area in Southern Kosovo in July 1998 to try and obtain the release of ethnic Albanian prisoners held by Serbian security forces. But the exchange of prisoners never took place.

Six former rebel leaders, including former Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj, are on trial in The Hague, charged with abducting and killing Serb civilians.

And don’t kid yourself: it took several years of arm-twisting by the Hague’s own conscience to get the International Criminal Tribunal for the (former) Yugoslavia — years into trials of almost exclusively Serbs — to prosecute non-Serbs like Haradinaj. (The ICTY was set up in 1993, and only in 2003 did it occur to the prosecutors to also prosecute Bosniaks and Albanians.)

This of course makes sense, since there’s nothing illegal about killing Serbs; no one’s going to notice if you don’t prosecute people for killing Serbs, because no one notices Serbs getting killed, and if they do, it’s just a “revenge killing” anyway. Nor is anyone going to notice when Serb-killers are sentenced to time served, so they can come home to a hero’s welcome and continue their political careers. The Hague operates the way a pro-Albanian America does: We know what’s good for us. Meanwhile, Serbs on trial at the Hague turn up mysteriously dead in their cells, or on death row for killing people who aren’t dead.

Just to address one part of the original Reuters item concerning the suspected mass grave — midway through the report, it says:

The mass grave would be the largest discovered in Serbia since 2001, when the corpses of more than 800 Kosovo Albanians were found in pits on a police training ground outside Belgrade and in eastern Serbia…Serbia pursued an indiscriminate bid to crush an Albanian insurgency.

Kosovo Albanians numbered around two million. We’re talking about 800 bodies, most of which were KLA fighters (including three volunteer combatant brothers from America). The number 800 out of two million, like the number two thousand dead on all sides until the NATO intervention, hardly sounds “indiscriminate.” As Israel and its defenders often counter, “Who are you to judge what constitutes a ‘proportionate’ response to domestic terrorism?” (And in the Balkans, you have to adjust for relativity, since Balkan beasts are dealt with as beasts.)

The point remains: It is incumbent upon us to correct almost two decades of biased Balkan coverage and policy — and this has been my intention from the beginning.

I’ll close with the following development. Finally, finally, some Serbs in Raska are standing up for themselves, and responding to these endless accusations with a lawsuit of their own. From Svetlana at Byzantine Sacred Art Blog:

And while the merry Serbs are reveling in their “Prayer” sweeping the Eurovision Song Contest and busy themselves with cheering their young tennis stars making a grand entrance on the international tennis scene, Albanian Muslims from Kosovo province prefer obsessing with imaginary corpses.

Kosovo Albanian separatists, famous for their engaging Nosferatu personalities, seem determined…to invent mass graves throughout Serbia, at the very start of a tourist season, where they can allege the remains of their dear KLA-terrorist fathers and sons are buried by the Serbs.

Alas, four full days of digging under the watchful eye of NATO/Albanian/Soros necromancers have failed to produce a single Albanian bone, let alone a “mass grave” — something all of the salivating observers could have expected up front, given the abysmal Albanian record of a nation that appears completely incapable of telling the truth.

“We have found nothing suspicious. This case is now closed,” said Krasimir Naumov, the International Committee of the Red Cross representative, who didn’t seem too happy to have his righteous indignation unceremoniously deflated…

Meanwhile, Serbs from Raska and Raska regional parliament have announced through their representative in the Serbian Assembly today they intend to sue representatives of Kosovo Albanian separatists, UNMIK, the International Red Cross Committee and the media outlets that have served to exert the undue pressure on the officials, for the moral and material damages, brought about by the toxic mix of Serbophobic hysteria, slander and baseless hearsay.